Wednesday, January 8, 2014

What to wear? For my sister in law.

 I can't sleep when my hubby is out of town so after sleeping about three hours last night I took pictures in our guest room as the kids slept. Please excuse the box springs and clothes in the background! My sister in law in New Zealand and I were skyping last night and she was asking my opinion on certain tops etc. Skype is great y'all, it makes people not seem so far away! So anyway, I thought I'd put these ideas together for her. :)

First of all, I wanted to show you how to unboringafy a button up top.
Put a short sweater/cardigan over the top and roll up the sleeves.

Then decide you like it better with no sleeves so chop them off. I'm in Texas after all so I don't need many long sleeved tops!

try it on with a different cardigan! You can hardly have too many of these. I also like to tie the bottom of an oversized button up and wear it with a high waist skirt. If you don't have a skirt with a high waist, just hike up your stretchy maxi skirt. Or a flowy elastic waist skirt. What? You don't have either one? Go buy one. Now.


A good quality tee shirt with another little jacket, it came with a dress but I wear it with all sorts of things. This outfit is from my favorite store- Dressbarn! The scarf makes everything better. I got it while on vacation this past summer and wear it continually.

Don't be afraid to tuck in your shirt!

Scarves aren't only for winter in my opinion. A small one could work in summer too.

Another scarf! This one looked way better in real life.

Tucked in

or not. Whichever you prefer!


Yeah, a scarf.

I've worn this zip up jacket from dressbarn at least once, probably twice a week since I got it a few months ago. It keeps my daughter occupied during church as she fiddles with the zippers. :)

I had this top for about a year before I decided to get over myself and stop being afraid of looking like an old lady. Now I love it. Who cares if I wear a vintage old fashioned top anyway? It's pretty. :)


Hey Ev, you still with me here? That was fun! I hope you enjoyed it too! Notice that I repeated a lot of the pieces. You only need a few basic items to make a lot of outfits (I know you've heard that before). I usually try to wear at least three pieces. For example 2 tops and then my skirt, or top, belt and skirt. Most of the time one thing is either black or white and then I do whatever colors for the rest!

Some people say shoes are hard to wear with a skirt but I think it's more that people don't know where to begin. Boots, flats (shiny please), leggings, tights. In the summer, strappy sandals. Now you are all set! 

Oh, and don't forget the scarf.



Linking up with
http://www.themodestmomblog.com/

(sorry I can't figure out how to grab the button from her blog!)

4 comments:

  1. Lovely combinations Hays! Definitely stuff to work on! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some great ideas here for the fashion challenged people such as myself.
    I love the way your outfits look nice and stylish and are modest at the same time.
    I have shared this on a page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/149002501970627/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind words and for sharing my post on facebook. I will have to check our your page. :)

    ReplyDelete